Monday, April 6, 2009

For Tehya, Jacob, Jack and Savannah

Everything scared me. Like swings. What if I pumped too hard, went too high, so high that my hands let go of the chain and I fell off on my head and my face squished into a flat lumpy thing and no one knew who I was ever again.

Or maybe those airplanes I could hear at night carried bad people who would parache out of the plane as it flew over my house, and they would land on my roof. Dressed all in black the bad people would climb down the brick walls like geckos, sneak in through the open window, take all of my toys and cookies and leave me nothing to do but dusting and vacuuming and cleaning, forever.

Then there were apples. Oh my, big, shiny, red apples. Juicy, sweet apples all crispy and white sleeping in the refrigerator, just waiting for me to take a big crunchy bite with my loose tooth. Snapping, grabbing, that apple would snatch my wiggly tooth right from my mouth leaving me nothing but blood and a hole and a tooth for the tooth fairy. I would like my tooth under my pillow and worry if I would wake up in the morning and find pennies, or nickels, or dimes, or spiders, or caterpillars, or scorpions.....

But the scariest thing of all started in August. School. Kindergarten. Four blocks, two streets, two hours away from home. So many questions: Where is the bathroom? Is my teacher nice? Does she know my name? Do I have to write my name? Will I ever find my way home again?

On the first day of school, my Mom and I walked together on that long, long journey to school. Step by step, past barking dogs, neighbors, across busy streets, closer and closer to school. Then something magic happened, something so wonderful that I have never, ever forgotten that moment. I looked up at my wonderful Mother and said, "Hold my hand a little tighter." And she did. Squeezing my hand so tightly, her bravery traveled from her heart through our hands to my heart and I felt no fear.

And so, beloved grandchildren, please know that there is always a hand to hold. Holding hands a little tighter always makes you feel better. Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa like nothing more than to hold your hand and give you courage every day. If you need to be braver than you feel, just say, "Hold my hand a little tighter," and we will.

Love, Grandma


6 comments:

  1. Grandma, we love it! Jack says "Thank you." Tehya says "that is really cool." She smiled the whole way through. Thank you mom. Jacob is still sleeping, so I will read it to him later. They can't wait to hear another one. You are such a good story teller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma,

    I liked it a lot. I love you. I like you and you are the best grandma and I like the book you writed. And I really like you and I really love you and you are the best. That's it.

    Love, Jacoooooooooooooooob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally impressed! I love it! Thank you so much for the CUTE dress. Thanks for all you do and I can't wait to read more on here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me cry Pat. From Marci's blog I found yours and I'm so glad I did. Thank you for sharing that. I will now hold my childrens' hands a little tighter after reading that sweet, heartfelt story. Thank you.
    Are you still teaching, and in the same place? I miss seeing you! Take care, Stephanie Thacker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember me? It's Amber (Roundy)Barney! I also followed Marci's blog to this one and I love how your perspective as a grandma can help us as mothers understand our kids needs better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma Pat...I'm so excited to read your stories! You always write such fun things. I remember when I was growing up and we'd go to Grandma's house and read your letters from California. They were always so entertaining! Hope you don't mind if I tell my little ones (or I guess my big ones) your stories too.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete